Why do diabetic patients have amputations?

Discussion forum on information on issues surrounding diabetes, help on related diabetes signs and symptoms, questions and answers from community

John

Why do diabetic patients have amputations?

Postby John » Sun May 29, 2016 6:47 am

I 'm not a diabetic and thank God I am not but I 'm so lost on this because I believed diabetes was kind of like a blood disorder or something that way, doing research I found that over 5 great actors/performers died from complications of diabetes but what I did not understand was that they were amputees. I mean like that if diabetes effects the quantity of insulin and sugar you have in your system what causes them to go blind and lose their arms and legs and stuff?

Jessi

Re: Why do diabetic patients have amputations?

Postby Jessi » Tue May 31, 2016 6:23 pm

One of the main problems is infection. People with diabetes have a lot of numbness related to the disease and this can cause them to injure their legs and feet without knowing. Then, if the injury doesn't heal right, it can cause a serious infection.

Tommy More

Re: Why do diabetic patients have amputations?

Postby Tommy More » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:52 am

As I understood there is no need of amputations, that occurred some wet dressings.
The dressings used in modern treatment are based on the principle hydroactive providing optimal conditions for each of the stages in wound healing process (phase I - effusion, phase II - the granulation and epithelialization phase III). Therefore, during treatment, it requires the use of several types of dressings, each devoted to a particular phase of the healing process. Choice of dressing appropriately is the key point for successful treatment, the selection being made depending on the aspect of the wound and the default state in that it lies.

Return to “General Diabetes”