How fast can pre-diabetes turn into diabetes?

Discussion forum on questions related to prediabetes. Many people have a long, slow, invisible progression of prediabetes. Ask questions and get help from forum members.

Susan

How fast can pre-diabetes turn into diabetes?

Postby Susan » Sat May 28, 2016 8:19 am

Hi, as stated in my question how fast a pre-diabetic turns into a diabetic? I am working on slimming down and exercising more and I cut out dairy product and meat.

By doing so, Am I delaying the transition of getting into a type 2 diabetic?

Bret

Re: How fast can pre-diabetes turn into diabetes?

Postby Bret » Sat May 28, 2016 8:25 am

There is no actual time frame as to what period of time a pre-diabetes becomes diabetes.

Generally, a blood test called 'glycosylated haemoglobin', otherwise known as HbA1c, is used to identify pre-diabetes and diabetes. This test gives an estimate of your blood sugars over the preceding 2-3 months. Although you analyzed as pre-diabetic today but were just on the cusp of being actually diabetic, you might see the change represented in the next blood test in 2-3 months time. If you were only just pre-diabetic, it might take longer to grow into diabetes. The process is slow.

The steps you are taking are generally good. Just make sure that you do not overeat fruits that are higher in sugar such as bananas. Focus on berries, grape fruit, cherries, and other low glycemic load fruits. Try to do daily aerobic exercise (e.g. >= 30 min/d) AND lift weights (e.g. 2x full body workouts/wk)! Doing both is optimal. It will drastically improve your insulin sensitivity. Make sure to eat good quantities of vegetables. This is extremely important. Aim for one pound cooked and one pound raw. Completely avoid sugar and anything that contains flour. Stay away from processed food. Cut out white carbs and other high glycemic index carbs, and your delay the transition even longer.

Additionally, there is no pre-set time to get type 2 diabetes. With lifestyle changes you may alter the course of the disease in most cases.

Tommy More

Postby Tommy More » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:55 pm

In general, the onset of insulin-dependent diabetes (type 1 diabetes) is boisterous, aggressive and occurs rapidly after the onset of organic lesion in the pancreas. Onset is obviously symptomatic aggressive. But type 2 diabetes can "train" for years in the body without reservation these disease states. For years he was not clinically evident than in blood glucose level. The patient has increasing amounts of glucose - 120 in a year, 150 in another year, 170 in another year. And they are ignored.

MariaGordon

Postby MariaGordon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:19 pm

I’ve heard that if you do nothing to change your diet and exercise regimens, you will develop type 2 in 10 years.

Return to “PreDiabetes”