Scar tissue from diabetes

Discussion on health related issues specific to Type 1 diabetes. A place for people with type 1 diabetes to discuss questions related to type1 in striving to achieve blood sugar control.

Postby River » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:00 am

In some of the diabetes patients, issues of scar tissue belly area, as well as legs from the insulin shots are being complained often. It looks like some times the lumps/bulges are much larger. How to avoid the development of extensive scar tissue?

Re: Scar tissue from diabetes

Postby Emily » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:58 am

This unfortunately will happen if you keep using the same general area. What you want to do is use all the area that is available. Just like anything it takes time for our skin to heal, so if the area doesn't look healed, look for another spot.

Postby LarryknobreUttetry » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:51 am

Hello wise community,

This is somewhat graphic but NOT SI-related.

So-- I have scar tissue on my forearm from previous self-injury burns. I have not self-injured in several years now yay, knock wood and whatever else, but today I was ironing something I rarely do, and accidentally got a small burn on my forearm, on top of an area where I have some scar tissue flat, well-healed and it was weird, and I wanted to write and see if anyone else had had experiences with this.

I think that there may have been some loss of sensation in the scar tissue area, because I dont think that I felt the burn right away you know how usually if you touch something hot by accident your reflexes jerk you away from it super fast, so when I felt this brief sharp pain, I moved my arm and looked and there was a little white mark. Then later I noticed that a blister had formed. And normally those are quite painful, but I dont really feel this. It hurts differently like a little bit deeper down and is weirding me out.

Is a burn that you get on top of scar tissue from a burn, if that matters different from a burn that you get on un-scarred skin? Does it require any special/different treatment? And have others had this experience?

It feels so weird... to have this burn that doesnt really hurt, and to have an accidental burn on an area where, during a really bad period in my life, I was repeatedly hurting myself. I dont know why Im having this strong reaction, but here I am.

Thanks for listening.

Return to “Type 1 Diabetes”